Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Uyghur food

My reader asked about how the Uyghur food looks like, and how it is different from the Arab food.

I don't cook, but I like to eat. So I can tell you a bit about the restaurant experience..


First, pork is not in the menu. This is big news as the Chinese cuisine is famous with its pork meals.




On the other side, every Uyghur restaurant, I have been to, serves beer, which was surprising.


In fact, the perfect meal is supposed to be beer + mutton skewer. I guess this is where East meets West (or rather far east meets middle east):
The Uyghur skewers are almost identical to the Turkish/Greek/Lebanese/Moroccan skewers, if you have some doubts, here are two pictures:






1 comment:

happy said...

you are right, but in the traditional restaurant no serves beer. if you go xin jiang and will realize this. maybe i will offer you some pictures of uyghur foods. and i guess that chef is not uyghur, is hui zu. that is grilled kawap, hui zu style.